Did you know that we offer library services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? We offer e-books and downloadable audiobooks for check out. We also offer learning databases that you can access either from home or at the St. Martin Parish Library.
The purpose of today’s blog is to get you familiar with our databases and how you can access them from home. The most important item you need before you begin is your Library card. You will need to know your card number to access these databases from home. If you misplaced your card, visit your local branch. Simply show your ID and they can provide you with your card number or you can purchase a new card for only $1.00.
Two really fun databases that kids can access are:
Tumblebooks are interactive storybooks, chapter books, nonfiction, language learning, puzzles, and games for kindergarten through sixth grades.
Scholastic BookFlix is a new online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning. The engaging way to link fact and fiction, BookFlix reinforces early reading skills and introduces children to a world of knowledge and exploration.
How do I get started?
- Visit our website at: https://stmartinparishlibrary.org
- Hover over “Resources” on the menu bar and select “Databases” or click here
- The Louisiana State Library Connection page will open.
- Enter your library card number.
- There are two columns of databases to choose from. “My Library’s Databases” are the services that your St. Martin Parish Library has purchased for your use and the “Statewide Databases” that have been purchased by the Louisiana State Library.
- Select the Database you want to use. That is it. 🙂 Enjoy.
- BookFlix and Tumblebooks are under the “My Library’s Databases”.
Other valuable resources available within these databases are:
- Audio Book Cloud – online streaming audio books for all ages
- Auto Repair Reference Center – info on most major manufacturers from 1954 to present
- Book Index with Reviews – Full-text searchable reviews of book, music and DVD titles
- Britannica eBooks – Hundreds of full color & B/W non-fiction ebooks ages PK – 18.
- Business Searching Interface – provides an easy way to browse and search for country economic data, company profiles, industry information and market research.
- Consumer Health Complete – Convenient access to easily understandable health and medical information. Search and browse within medical encyclopedias, popular reference books & articles.
- EBSCOhost (Mobil App available) – EBSCO host offers a variety of proprietary full text databases and popular databases from leading information providers.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library – Literary criticism for students and small business resources.
- Homework Louisiana (Mobil App available) – Live Online Tutor, Skills builder.
- Kids Search – Kids search is designed especially for youth in grades K – 8.
- Learning Express – A comprehensive interactive learning platform of tests, courses, and career preparation for students and adults.
- Literary Reference Center – Info from major respected reference works, books, literary journals as well as original content from EBSCO publishing.
- Literati by Credo – Over 550 reference ebooks covering a wide variety of subjects.
- Louisiana Digital Library – An online library of over 144,000 digital materials about Louisiana’s history, culture, places and people.
- Louisiana Jobs & Career Center – resources for those seeking new careers, changing jobs, needing a little extra help preparing for the job market, online one-on-one tutoring and access to free workforce development classes.
- Mango Languages (Mobil App available) – Language learning for everyone. Includes ESL.
- Newsbank – The electronic editions of record for valuable local, regional, and national U.S. newspapers – all in one easy-to-search database.
- Salud En Espanol – Consumer Health Complete, Spanish Edition
- Scribner Writers Series – Biographies of many authors’ lives and works.
- Searchasaurus – Content for young children with lexile ranking and teacher resources.
- Student Research Center – Search EBSCOhost’s top 10 student resources at once, plus The American Heritage ® Dictionary, 4th Edition and The Coumbia Encyclopedia.
- TumbleBookCloud – an online collection of ebooks and read-along chapter books, graphic novels, educational videos & audio books.
- TumbleBookCloud Jr – special edition designed specifically for elementary and middle school students.
- Tutor.com (Mobil App available) – See Homework Louisiana
- Twayne’s Author Series – Full text discussions of many authors’ works and chronologies of their lives.